The cash is chosen, again. No offence taken, again.
A Dentons lawyer has been crowned the brainiest of brainboxes by winning RollOnFriday's Christmas Quiz.
Despite RollOnFriday's readership consisting of hardly any genuine thickos, just 31 respondents got all 12 questions correct/could be arsed to cross-review to the Review of the Year story. This week, RollOnFriday tied each of their names on individual hamsters, and placed all the pet rodents inside a giant hamster ball. A RollOnFriday intern placed his hand in the ball, and the first hamster to bite on his pinky bore the name of the winner, which was (drumroll)...Georgina Kirkwood, a TMT associate at Dentons.
With the choice of £100 or lunch with the RollOnFriday team, Georgina opted for the cash due to the possibility that the Omicron wave may never end (and nothing, of course, to do with the prospect of lunching with the ROF team).
"I am delighted and very honoured to have won the ROF Christmas quiz," said Georgina. "Hopefully, this is not the peak of my legal career and the limits of my commercial awareness, but it is an accomplishment. Thanks for filling my inbox with some light hearted news and the goings on of the legal market each week." Georgina scores top marks again for her comment.
Here are the answers, culled from 12 of the biggest, best and strangest stories of 2021:
1. What did Clyde & Co give to staff so they could indicate how cautious they were being with Covid?
- Stickers with emojis.
- Desk cards with a scale of 1-10.
- Traffic light coloured wrist bands.
- Enamel pin badges with exclamation marks.
2. Dentons CEO was praised for cancelling a meeting to do what instead?
- Console a crying trainee.
- Watch his children play football.
- Volunteer at a soup shelter.
- Play golf with Colin Montgomerie.
3. A Trowers & Hamlins trainee was assaulted after the firm asked him to undertake what task?
- Ask a road digger to stop digging outside the office.
- Serve a penal notice on a bouncer.
- Serve papers on a man who had arranged the defenestration of a judge.
- Serve notice on squatters in Hackney.
4. How was an Allen & Overy partner caught engaging in "inappropriate conduct" with a junior colleague?
- His camera was left switched on after a Zoom call with a client.
- He was spotted by colleagues when his office door accidentally swung open.
- He was overheard in the meeting room next door.
- He was filmed through a window by a member of the public.
5. DWF's ex-Managing Partner in the Middle East is suing the firm for various claims, including which of the following allegations?
- The firm has overcharged him repeatedly in the office canteen.
- A barrier damaged his Range Rover in the office car park.
- The firm hasn't cancelled his corporate mobile phone plan.
- He tripped up on a loose cable in the office and injured himself.
6. A lawyer in the nuclear industry sparked a national security probe after he tried to woo an engaged woman over Twitter, with which public tweet?
- "Alas, I cannot stop! I fell in love with you over lunch that day and I have never stopped loving you ever since."
- "I will wait as long as it takes...even if we are both well into our nineties!"
- "I don't really care about your fiance - only about you!"
- All of the above.
7. Hardwicke Chambers rebranded itself because of its discomfort at being named after an advocate of the slave trade. What is its new name?
- Gatehouse Chambers.
- Hale Chambers.
- Bridgestone Chambers.
- Griffin Chambers.
8. A junior solicitor, Claire Matthews, was struck off for lying about what mistake?
- Serving a freezing order on the wrong party.
- Leaving a work briefcase on a train.
- Having a claim struck out when she missed a time limit.
- Accidentally shredding an important document.
9. Law students have called for the boycott of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher for acting on a matter which they allege...
- Went "against the ethos of the MeToo movement".
- Defended "police brutality in Compton, LA".
- Brought "music royalties to Gary Glitter".
- Resulted in the "incursion of sacred Sioux land".
10. What title did a Freeths partner give himself on a slide, when presenting at a firm conference?
- The 'Managing Partner of Banter'.
- The 'Tiger King of Law'.
- The 'National Head of Porn'.
- The 'Don Juan of Real Estate'.
11. Which law firm pays the highest salary of £153,000 to its NQs?
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton.
- Vinson & Elkins.
- Shearman & Sterling.
- Womble Bond Dickinson.
12. What is the name of the new dating app for the legal community?
- Shameless pluggr.
Well done to everyone who entered the quiz, even Richard who scored 3.