Opening Date: 10 October 2018
Closing Date: 7 November 2018
Clifford Chance has the world's leading global banking practice. Our Banking Group is the biggest team in the firm and combines a multi-disciplinary practice which stands out from our competitors for the range, calibre and international scope of the deals we handle and the advice we provide. It is significant that we are client-focused rather than product-focused. This means that we can and will adapt to our clients' needs as their markets change.
Our award-winning Finance team is ranked in band 1 in Chambers & Partners Global-wide Banking & Finance category and our high-quality and ground-breaking international practice continues to be one of the most highly respected in the market.
This is further demonstrated through being recognised by some of the industry's leading awarding bodies. Some recent awards for our Finance team include:
- Loan Team of the Year and Loan Deal of the Year – IFLR Europe Awards 2017
- Banking Firm of the Year – Who's Who Legal Awards 2017
- Syndicated Leveraged & Acquisition Finance Law Firm of the Year – APLMA 2017
- Finance Deal of the Year – The Asia Legal Awards 2017
- Loan Team of the Year and Loan Deal of the Year – IFLR Europe Awards 2016
- Banking Firm of the Year – Who's Who Legal Awards 2016
- Best Law Firm for Syndicated Loans – GlobalCapital Awards 2016
- EMEA Leveraged Loan Award (Froneri) – IFR Awards 2016
- Euromoney Awards for Innovation in Islamic Finance 2016
- Islamic Finance Law Firm of the Year – UAE – Worldwide Financial Advisor Awards Magazine Excellence awards 2016
- Banking Law Firm of the Year – International – ALB China Awards 2016
Lawyers in our Banking group have the opportunity to gain top quality experience across the following diverse range of work:
- Syndicated lending
- Leveraged and Acquisition finance (including some securitisation)
- Structured finance
- Funds Financing
- Sovereign debt rescheduling
- Real Estate finance
- Project finance and ECA backed financing
- High Yield bonds
Lawyers in our Banking group are therefore given the chance to handle a tremendous variety of work. There is no pressure to specialise in any particular area, although often as lawyers become more senior they choose to focus more heavily on a couple of areas of the group's practice.
Also, much of the work is very innovative, and rarely are two deals the same. So, far from being bound by precedent, you will need to bring fresh, creative thinking to your work. The group acts as the first point of client contact for complex and novel arrangements. As a result its lawyers need and will acquire a detailed understanding of other banking and capital markets products so as to manage the delivery of multi product financing arrangements for clients' business and products too.
As a lawyer at Clifford Chance your remit will be to apply your full knowledge of the law within your specialist area by identifying legal issues, drafting and advising clients.
Qualifications - External
We are looking for banking lawyers who have experience in one or more of the areas that we handle. As well as recruiting from well-respected City and National firms, we would like to talk to you if you are currently working in-house at one of the leading banks or financial institutions (provided that you have continued to work at the cutting edge, drafting and negotiating key banking documents).
The international flavour of our work is well matched by our multi-jurisdictional environment. We welcome applications from lawyers from leading firms in commonwealth jurisdictions such as Australia and New Zealand. The group has a number of senior associates and partners whom were hired laterally and relocated to London.
In all cases you should have first class legal ability coupled with a practical commercial approach, excellent drafting and communication skills; lawyers must also have strong organisational and analytical skills along with a high level of commercial awareness.
A strong academic history is essential.
In order to provide outstanding client service, we need to understand, anticipate and fulfil the unique needs and expectations of each client. We call this "Client Focus" and to help deliver this core part of our business strategy, we want to recruit lawyers who not only have the very highest level of technical skills but are also Client Focused.
We are looking for lawyers who:
- can demonstrate a keen interest and enthusiasm to learn about our clients' business;
- can work in teams, sharing knowledge and motivating and to overall success;
- are empathetic, responsive and reliable;
- are commercial and innovative in the solutions they deliver to clients;
- are good at fostering relationships with clients;