DSAR (Data Subject Access Request) Projects
Team: BCLP Cubed
Reports to: COO – Manchester
Purpose of job:
This is an exciting opportunity for a Senior Employment Lawyer with experience in Data Subject Access Requests (DSARs) to be an integral part of a team that is focused on providing clients with high quality DSAR advice and support.
The purpose of the role is to understand client requirements when it comes to DSARs and ensure that DSAR legal work (in particular, volume DSAR legal work) is delivered efficiently using industry best-practices, technology and systems. You will focus on conducting DSAR reviews in a timely manner, including liaising with clients on strategy and approach, whilst protecting legally privileged information, third party privacy and, where appropriate, commercial confidentiality.
You will be responsible for leading the client service delivery team managing the DSAR review and will need to be confident and versatile in handling the DSAR process including the data visualisation tools, machine learning and other IT systems.
What’s in it for you?
This is a distinct opportunity within BCLP, a firm that has been named the ‘World’s Most Innovative Law Firm’ multiple times by leading legal publications and institutions on both sides of the Atlantic, and won numerous awards for approaches that have been at the forefront of the transformation of our industry. We bring together teams that lead the legal market in process improvement and workflow design, technology and automation, and data analytics.
BCLP Cubed brings together our legal service delivery teams, which provide highly efficient solutions for volume legal processes, with our globally recognised lawyers and our expertise in legal operations and technology. This means we can deliver our clients an end-to-end solution that seamlessly provides the right level of service, regardless of whether the legal work involved is complex and high-value, routine and standardised, or driven via technology.
As different DSAR requests require a different approach, BCLP Cubed has developed different models which can be mixed and matched to suit business needs. Each model provides an optimised balance of technology, expertise and process to ensure that the approach delivers real commercial value for our clients.
You’ll have autonomy to develop and grow the team and our offering to clients, whilst working in our truly diverse and flexible growing Manchester office.
To provide technical support and supervision to the junior members of staff, including junior associates, trainees, paralegals and apprentices on a variety of DSAR related matters. Specific responsibilities include:
• Assessing DSARs in the first instance and liaising with relevant teams to ensure that the correct technology is set up accordingly
• Providing legal oversight to the junior members of staff and supporting them as necessary with any DSAR matters
• Being the key contact with the client, ensuring that the scope of the work is well defined, that deadlines are understood and updates provided as necessary and that any red flags are identified and discussed with the client
To monitor the quality of client service ensuring that any areas for improvement in systems, processes and people are identified and actioned appropriately. Specific responsibilities include:
• Ensuring a consistent approach to the review of the junior members of staff’s work by tracking and documenting in relevant systems the advice given, solutions found and appropriate actions taken
• Identifying risks and carrying out problem solving to find alternative and appropriate solutions
• Identifying both common and individual training needs and working with the KDLs and managers to design appropriate training
• Ensuring that service delivery is always consistent with client-specific systems and requirements
• Assist with the continuous improvement of processes, systems and precedents and contribute to new ideas generation
• Work closely with BCLP Knowledge Development Lawyers to ensure that all legal processes are compliant, fit for purpose and in accordance with best practice
• Participate in project work as necessary using skills and expertise to drive continuous improvement opportunities.
The Employment Team, Team Leaders, Client Team Leads, Knowledge Development Lawyers, Project Managers, the Pricing and Economics Group.
Experience and knowledge
• Strong DSAR technical expertise is essential
• Proven track record of working on DSAR projects is essential
• Transaction management or similar project management skills would be desirable
• 7+ years PQE
Skills and competencies
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
• Ability to develop strong working relationships at all levels
• Strong influencing and problem solving skills
• Excellent leadership and people management skills
• Ability to critique and constantly evaluate service provision in order to identify areas for improvement
• Good commercial acumen
• Innovative approach
• High attention to detail
Diversity, inclusion and working differently
Diversity and inclusion is at the heart of strengthening Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner. We are wholly committed to creating an inclusive and inspirational culture where all our employees are valued, motivated and able to make the most of their skills qualities and points of difference and, most importantly, be themselves.
We believe that our goals of always exceeding client expectations and being the most attractive place to work will only be achieved if we recruit, retain, reward and develop our people with regard to their abilities and contributions and without reference to their background, gender, gender identity, ethnic origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, political belief or disability.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner is a firm with an increasingly flexible workforce. We are supportive of a range of working arrangements, tailored to you as an individual, wherever possible.
Please ask the Resourcing Team about the flexible working arrangements that are available to you within this role.
Please note that our PQE levels as stated in our job descriptions are a guide only and all suitable candidates will be considered.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner ensure that all hardcopy and electronic materials containing confidential information are securely stored and accessible only to those authorised to view such content.
Please note: we will not accept speculative CVs sent to hiring managers or partners via email. We can only accept CVs sent via the portal from agencies that have agreed terms of business with the Recruitment team. For further information, contact [email protected].
As a regulated firm of solicitors, Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner is required to undertake appropriate vetting of staff. In addition to completion, by applicants who accept a job offer, of a regulatory questionnaire, Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner uses a specialist provider to undertake professional verification and background checks (including through electronic data sources, and directly with employers and professional bodies/regulators) on our behalf. We will also undertake certain verifications ourselves.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner adopts a risk-based approach to its vetting procedures, which are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with IT, legal and regulatory obligations. For further details, please see our recruitment website: www.bclplaw.com