Rate your 2022

As we’re barrelling towards the end of the year it’s time to assess the last year so let’s have scores out of 10.

Personally 7.5.  Had some tough patches but overall the trajectory has been upwards and can see a few long term plans starting to come together.

managed relocation fairly successfully but still seem to be a lawyer at the end of it

so 6.5/10

hoping to become tech entrepreneur in 2023

yes, I do. Probably as much as I know about law tbh.

probably about a 6 

generally an ok year but pulled down by my father in law dragging out the process of dying. that’s been hard on my wife, has meant I missed out on some planned time with her and has also meant I have slightly been treading water when I should have been moving some things forward 

8. Career progression. Payment now more commensurate to skillset & employer the market leader for what I do.

Would be 9 but for some relationship drama & signs of ageing.

Surprisingly managed to be worse than 2021 in many ways.

Work went from good to pretty shyt following a takeover 

Family situation didn't improve 

Didn't get laid (again)

Ended up posting too much crap on here .

On the plus side finished my professional exams and went to possibly a record number of gigs ..

Got Covid and it was fine 

very content and happy, have tentatively ticked off another bucket list item which will arrive in September next year 🤞, still didn’t die again despite a fairly concerted effort in late 21 to get the job done. 

the only reason it doesn’t get a 10 is i had to put one of my horses down early in the year and I haven’t made as much progress on some projects around the farm that i would have liked to. 

Officially 10.

but given I’ve discovered that I’m grumpy and angry I often lose sight of the 10 and I’m grumpy and angry with myself for not being able to grab the 10 and be at peace.

OB I think the reason why I rate my life so highly is because I’m not tired, grumpy and angry all the time any more. because my life is much less stressful and frenetic. 

I have the space and time to remember just how lucky I am .. even if life isn’t perfect. 

I suspect those with full time careers and kids just don’t even have the time to breathe let alone appreciate things. 

I haven’t died either, love life is LOL, health OK, career - been skiving, some good weather and outdoor fun so I may award myself a 10 even tho from the outside it probably looks like a -3

Ten for Twenty Twenty Two

Family and friends I bond and team with

As we lift the rank masks of dull Covid.

With smiles again over the face of the land

We share our joys from heart, to head, to hand.

Hard Agree getting enough sleep makes one happy and it’s hard to be happy if one is tired all the time even if from outside have it all going on

This has been my first year of not working. So it’s been one of great readjustment and learning how to not do paid work and manage family life full time.

I’ve been so used to working to targets it’s hard not to set them for myself - but really - how quickly can I fold laundry and reset the house after the day? There’s no kpi or bonus for that and kids don’t thank you for a great job on washing their socks.

I keep thinking there’s a reason for the stereotype of the frazzled, bored housewife because while I don’t have the stress (and reward and adult company of work) and life is comfortable, I do have the micro stresses of a lot of life with small children and as they are mine, they don’t listen so I spend a lot of time repeating myself… which gets quite tiresome and aggravating. And I struggle to reset and be endlessly patient.

I find im incredibly forgetful and concerned im generally slower without work to keep me at pace and my brain active and current. My experience in tbe work place is ageing and out of date already. Im tired. Not a lot of lie ins…

i don’t want to live through the kids and they’re not my hobby so their achievements and challenges aren’t mine, I walk through them with them. I had this wistful idea that I’d spend all my time playing with them. But it’s a lot of housework and cooking while they watch tv etc so I still feel I’m not giving them or doing enough. Mothers guilt.

My own achievements - have been a few. Not nothing, but it feels like it a lot of the time. Because they’re not paid work. And that’s always how I marked my year and defined myself. Did I hit target. Did I get a good appraisal. How much is my bonus.

I think that’s why when I look at it I can see the 10, fully see the 10, but when I’m shouting at the kids to get their shoes on or get dressed or do their teeth I crave a tube journey to work alone with a book and a meeting with grown ups who sort of do what I’m asking them to do and don’t screech at me that they’ve got a bogey or need a poo and then I feel bad because it is really all a 10.

That was quite cathartic actually, thanks x

'I’ve been so used to working to targets it’s hard not to set them for myself ...  Not nothing, but it feels like it a lot of the time. Because they’re not paid work. And that’s always how I marked my year and defined myself. Did I hit target. Did I get a good appraisal. How much is my bonus.'

This is quite honestly exactly how I felt when I stopped being a private practice lawyer. So much of myself was defined by WHAT I did instead of who I was, when all my friends and then partner were PP lawyers still tied up in that crazy fooked up world then how did I fit in? How was I valued? 

It took quite a long time to get rid of that mindset  .. to remember I was a person and not a job. 

I imagine it is quite hard to get past that though when you are also mother and so much of your life is quite forcefully defined by that. 

Good thread. It’s been a year of changes on the personal and work front, and positive ones I’m pleased to report. Made a decision never to work hard again. 

5/10.

Some upsides on the career front, but I struggle with imposter syndrome and have constant anxiety about what I do and whether or no I can do it or if what I do is even good enough. 

One parent is ill with Alzheimer’s and watching the decline is heartbreaking and makes me cry most days. 

My lockdown purchase of a young horse from a random dealer has turned up trumps and said horse is going to be a superstar.

Mr GHF’s work related challenges have added a layer of tension but we work through it together.

The overall negative knock on effects of Brexit, Covid, the incumbent Government, their decisions and the absence of any suitable alternative, makes me worry that I’ll never be able to save sufficient for a decent pension nor retire, and that weighs heavily on my mind. 

A solid 10.

Kids happy, eldest aced his GCSEs, we travelled loads (pent up energy from covid months etc), new job plus promotion, of course there are lows but it’s humbling when you remember some people are going through real sh*t.

Got promoted at work.... but it hasn't quite turned out to be what was promised. Still learning loads so that is a win.

Kids both going ok and are fit and healthy so again another win.

Got to have far better deeper connections with mates that in recent years so that is again a win. 

Wife is being worked to death by her job and it doesn't look like a change is coming anytime soon. Big loss of our family life there. 

6/10.

Overall it is a 8.5 although my career and love life are -10 :))

I’ve finished remodelling my home and I surprised myself with good academic grades during postgrad studies. I also have a good longstanding circle of friends.

Young Master Fluerissima is really doing well academically. If he gets to the Uni where he has set his heart on, then 2023 will be a 10 for me!

Yes there are worries about the future and pension, but I’m trying to enjoy the moment  for the time being :)! Those worries are inevitable for the years to come. 

I love not being a PP lawyer.. I would never, ever go back to unless I had no other option.

Merkz the horse jizz is the bucket list item that will hopefully be arriving next September in the form of a baby horse. 🤞

The third and final scan at the clinic for my filly happens next Tuesday … but the 27 day heart beat scan was successful last week. So she is definitely pregnant… she just has to keep it.  

6.5/7-  A nothing burger of a year really.  Nothing massively bad happened (step mum was seriously ill but is on the mend and will get better). Work is trundling along not really going anywhere and I am fvcking bored of it. 

Started to have a bit of a midlife crisis early in the year. Bought a sports car (bored of it already); trained for a sports thing, work got in the way of training a lot. Performance was therefore a bit meh which was annoying. Fitness has declined since I stopped having something to focus on/train for. Finishing the year fatter than I started it despite being in pretty decent shape half way through. 

First attempt at summer holidays badly fvcked up by work. Second attempt more successful but all a bit compromised. 

Financial position deteriorated if anything. 

Far too many evenings spent drinking wine and watching escapist telly...

All the really important stuff (family, health etc) is basically OK so certainly not a disaster. Just starting to feel acutely that the number of years left is finite. 

Hopefully Christmas will be a good one. Can try to sort sh1t out a bit/make a bit more of 2023. 

I'm glad reading some of this that I had an early realisation that the work achievements are nice but really not that satisfying and certainly not the be all and end all.  Thankfully I have something else in life that has ticked the achievement box to such an extent that I no longer feel any need to achieve anything.

OB before you know it the kids will be independent and you'll have time to do things for you again.  Make the most of it as there will also come a point where they are trying not to shout at you to put your shoes on and find a jumper that doesn't have food down the front!

I think it's an 8. In 2022 we've managed to convert our garage to make a downstairs bedroom and wet room for Mr G so he no longer has to sleep in the living room. We are also close to having a wheelchair accessible car delivered for him which he'll be able to drive using hand controls. Young G has passed her driving test and has started a part-time course at the local college, despite her anorexia and social anxiety.

All positive developments but I feel a bit meh. 

Pretty good. Hooked with c. 30 different girls and that was me being relatively well behaved.

Lots of partying. 

Made up for 2020 and 2021 being below average.

Merkz06 Dec 22 10:02

fvck me horse jizz is expensive …

and that’s before you pay the very expensive transportation fees for liquid nitrogen sperm handlers and the equally expensive vet fees for the reproductive vets to do the AI procedures which must be timed to within 6 hours of ovulation for frozen semen to work. 

or spend two days floating your horse to the best repro clinic in the country and board her there for 6 weeks to get pregnant. 

and then another two days travel to get her home again.

and then you have to find her a decent maternity ward to deliver in. 

To be fair though.. he is one of the pricier baby daddies for what I want. 

But I consider myself luck given the most expensive throughbred racing stallion in the world charges 250k GBP a ‘pop’… and he only comes ‘naturally’. 

So he would most likely serve up to three mares at day and earn 750k GBP per day during the breeding season. 

The breeding season for TB’s  is very short.. they aim to have all the foals delivered as close to but after 1st of Jan .. so they are at max maturity possible when they compete in the age races. 

so basically for the stallions it’s all systems go for a short period of time .. most mature stallions in peak breeding condition and fertility can manage three a day without compromising fertility results.  but it will depend on the individual stallion and how many mares he has ‘booked’ for the season. 

The TB stud book won’t accept any form of artificial breeding (this limits how many mares the stallion can stand in a season to prevent further genetic narrowing of the breed) .. so many stallions are on the ‘shuttle’.

they spend a few months banging in the northern hemisphere then hope on a plane somewhere south and spend a few months banging in the south.

it’s one of the reasons Australia and NZ have such good TB studs .. because we access all the best stallions in the northern hemisphere off season.. 

I think my horse would have a few things to say about that, sails.

‘For clarity when I say …

born as close to but after 1st of Jan .. (or 1st if August in the southern hemisphere)  so they are at max maturity possible when they compete in the age races.’ 

This is because horses don’t have individual ‘birthdays’ from which their age is counted. They all age one year on that day (1st if Jan and August depending  on the hemisphere) regardless of what day  they are actually born. 

a lot of races are for 2 or 3 year olds. Which is very young for a horse and long before they are fully mature (they are fully mature around 5 or 6). 

so when you are racing a two year old.. every single week or month older that they are is another week or month more mature and stronger they are to compete against their peers.