The perils of 360 degree feedback

So I have been asked to give someone fairly senior in my team some feedback (I'm on secondment).  Clearly they are expecting things like "it would be nice to hear more management updates" or "let's have more team huddles" or "wow, you're amazing". 

The reality, which I am tempted to feed back, is "your job is insipid and doesn't involve any originality or imagination.  Your team is indoctrinated and deals with so much crappy, inconsequential stuff that you can only recruit morons.  A monkey could do your job and nobody would notice any dip in performance".  Now how do I wrap that up in diplomatic language?

Just carry on with the pointless inane lying and say everything is great.  If you actually tell the truth the “anonymity” of your feedback will mysteriously disappear, along with your career prospects.  

"your job is insipid and doesn't involve any originality or imagination.  Your team is indoctrinated and deals with so much crappy, inconsequential stuff that you can only recruit morons.  A monkey could do your job and nobody would notice any dip in performance"

Describe them as “an absolute machine”?

I loved this shit when I was in a biglaw firm.

Was on one of those weird ‘in between everything’ grades and as everyone on 360s had to get someone from every bloody grade I was called upon repeatedly.

My personal favourite response to one of these was when asked about the negatives of the guy who was the global head of corporate who was also the guy who hired me and was my directs line manager... I created the best, cheesiest, ‘I want a bigger bomus’ Line ever.

Ahem.

”I feel that while it is inspirational to have such an incredibly prolific and gifted team leader, I am concerned slightly that his standards for others may be too high.  He is without question an exceptional lawyer and arguably the best man manager I have ever experienced.  But we are not all so blessed or so motivated. I hope he understands that not everyone can be quite so dedicated as he is.”

lolz.  My boss loved that shit, heh. Not quite a transcript but really isn’t far off what I actually wrote.

360 degree feedback would work much better if it was the person sat in the middle and everyone giving the feedback say in a circle around them shouting their (constructive) criticism 

I used to have to do something similar in BigLaw. I had to appraise various IT, KM or HR managers. And the heads of those departments had to appraise my managers.

I used to give them top marks. Easiest way.

Afterwards I said to a colleague 'Who the fvck was that, I don't know them and have nothing to do with them'.

For once only... what Chambers said.

Firstly, I don't accept that your opinion has any validity anyway, so I don't accept you as a competent critical analyser of someone else.  You don't come across that way on here, and that's all we've got to judge you against.  We have wife/coolest duddette ever for years and now we have ex-wife/mentalist... same woman, different reviewer.  The common factor in your review of most things is you are right/ace and others are sh1t. 

Secondly, what would you or he benefit by doing this?  Will he have a damascene conversion and spend his limited time on earth doing something else?  All you are realistically going to do is make someone else unhappy..why would you do that?

Thirdly, from a vested self interest point of view.  Why would you ever alienate someone like this?

Again... wot chambers said. 

my old firm tried to do this for partners.  anonymous 360s.  I think my fave was

"partner X is an incompetent bullying shytbag who could start an argument if he was locked alone in the stationery cupboard"

Wang we had that. My boss who was a great guy and a friend got something that started:

My mum said if you can't say anything nice about somebody then don't say anything at all; but she's dead so... followed by two pages of green pen mentalism 

I worked with a middle aged, paranoid, lecherous,  coke snorting alcoholic.... he was being managed out.... that was a joyful period with the whole team in the middle of power politics and some of them trying to work out the angle which would make them fill any void...

Being old and not giving a fvck other than getting the job done has its advantages.

Oh hello errm totally new person who has just started posting.  hope u r well.  please tell us a little about your politics, your beliefs, your sporting affiliations, your chromosome count, your current scalpal hirsuitity and your favourite mustard...

"your job is insipid and doesn't involve any originality or imagination.  Your team is indoctrinated and deals with so much crappy, inconsequential stuff that you can only recruit morons.  A monkey could do your job and nobody would notice any dip in performance"

I'm not seeing the negatives here provided its making enough money.