Legal 500… has anyone noticed?

Legal 500 has changed this year.

Lots of larger firms don’t feature and the rankings seem to have given a leg up to small firms. 

Anyone know the story behind this change?

Does this serve any purpose other than annual willy-waving among partners?

‘Ooh yeah I’ll instruct Khunt & Co because they’re Tier 1 in the field of [X]’ said no-one ever.

When I was applying for TCs and during the TC is thought the L500 and Chambers were really prestigious and were basically gospel.

Then over the years I worked for some total charlatans who were band 2 in Chambers, and I  realised the rankings were a bit iffy.

When I started doing the interviews and seeing the blatant fiction submitted by colleagues at previous firms in the directory submissions, I lost most remaining trust.

Having said all that, I would of course prefer to have been ranked higher today….

LinkedIn's a hoot at the moment. Lots of people posting self-congratulatory comments about how good they think they are because they're mentioned in the L500.

I agree with Barney (4 Oct, 19:57). And most of those responsible for said posts on LI should work for the firm he mentions. And should probably get out more.