Airbus A400M

Beautiful plane but my god is it loud.  I live by Canary Wharf and can hear them as far away as Croydon.  Heard one yesterday, it was Belgian AF and was over Wembley when I heard it.

They're louder than the AN25's which often fly over.

The A400m is the replacement of the C130 Hercules and we have got used to the relatively benign buzz of the latter. This turboprop is much louder.   But it's big brother the Globemaster C17 is louder. I was at an outdoor concert in Dorset one summer and  a C17 Globemaster was using the airport in Bournemouth (formerly Hurn now Bournemouth International dontchaknow) for a small airport touch and go/ go around practice. Each time it went out to sea on the takeoff but then turned and flew back west to east to land, right over our concert. I gave up with the music and watched the airframe. It did 12 passes. 

I see the occasional C17 but they're hard to distinguish soundwise from a 787 so I don't notice them as much the A400M has a very distinctive "note" to it's sound (I can tell when it's a Dash 8 going into LCY vs an A400M quite easily).

I was watching Israel on Sunday and there were a lot of USAF planes flying near Gaza at 12,000 feet that appeared to be static... I think they're blocking signals in the area.

oh I know that, it's just that the ADS-B data from the military aircraft in the area is / was very off, watched a Jordanian AF plane (looked like a trainer) flying around the border but the USAF planes were static even though they had destinations showing on FR24

it's a lovely sound but I'm just remarking that it's really loud.  You're probably right though, I haven't heard one close up but I believe you can hear a Russian Bear (TU-95) for a hundred miles.

I'd like to know how much better they really are than the C-130s they replaced.  They're certainly more expensive and complex.  AIrbus Helicopters' NH90 has been a very significant failure for the Australians and others.  I don't think the A400M is that kind of poor, but one wonders how much value for money it's providing.  But then this is UK military procurement we're talking about, so I suppose that question needn't even be asked... 

Ok... I'm back from wikipedia... yes, Aerospatiale became Eurocopter which is Airbus.

I don't really know much about helicopters although my brother flew Alouette III, Dauphin and Gazelles for the Irish Air Corps.

Just had an A400M go over and I could still hear it over Swanley which is 13 miles from here.  At the same time a 777 was passing directly over me but I could still hear the A400M...