BPP Law School is going to teach students to meditate to prepare them for their working life, and has brought in a Clifford Chance partner to help.
From the end of November, the law school will give students "specially commissioned audio meditations" to play on they smart phones. The whales/gurus/Nigella Lawson will sing/chant/whisper about balancing work and life, self-care and getting a good night's sleep.
As part of its wellbeing drive, BPP is also going to produce online modules about 'controlling anxiety' and 'mindfulness on the go'.
Podcasts on how to outsmart capacity emails, manage the expectations of workaholic partners and dodge 2am finishes are yet to be announced.
Indicating just how ubiquitous anxiety and stress are in the legal profession, 93% of the young lawyers surveyed by the Junior Lawyers Division of the Law Society said they had felt stressed at work (the other 7% must be on meds already), and almost a quarter reported feeling severely or extremely stressed.
"Feel the torts draining out of your toes, and a warm liquid completion filling you up."
It might seem premature to address the problem at a student level, where timetables demand seven hours' work a week, but Jeremy Connick, a partner at Clifford Chance, said issues around anxiety should be nipped in the bud.
"Helping students recognise and deal with stress and pressure will help them to thrive as trainees and junior lawyers in the future", said Connick, an advocate for better mental awareness across the legal sector. "Too many still see admitting to stress as a sign of weakness". Connick will launch a speaker programme to help students appreciate the importance of staying aware of their own mental health when they arrive in the workplace.
In the meantime, BPP is also going to try converting some of its classrooms into pop-up meditation studios, which at the very least will assist with hangovers.
If you're far too stressed already, consider contacting LawCare.