Napoleon - 1,000 horses acting their hearts out

Rupert Everett as Wellington " I never get wet if I can help it"

Sinead Cusack dry as a bone as Napoleon's tough old Corsican mother

Tahar Rahim as leader of the Directory.

Vanessa KIrby luminous as a full moon

Joaquin Phoenix having  absolutely no problem,at the age of 50, doing nearly the whole film on horseback and, so far as I can see, genuinely on horseback, no stunt doubles, not CGI.

What is wrong with you all, being so begrudging? I thought it was great.

The historical accuracy was just laughable.

I mean, I’m sure every last glass and belt buckle was correct, but the actual events being depicted?  Fuggedaboutit!

Just watched this and it was honestly a lot better than I’d been led to believe. Yes there were some liberties around the historical accuracy of some of the events depicted but they were mostly intended to benefit the pace of the movie where the events weeent central to the overall focus on Napoleon’s rise and fall (and rise and fall). Overall, as biopics go, a solid 7

I was a bit distracted by the casting because the Joker ians Joaquin are basically the same person in my head after he inhabited that role so comprehensively ..

But I thought it was well done while also understanding why the French were a bit miffed about it 

I kind of understand what you mean by disjointed but so was Napoleon’s rise and rule. Disjointed both in terms of the campaigns he led but also the periods of his rule/exile/rule/exile.

But JP was excellent as was Vanessa Kirby.