Living in zone 3/4/5 why do so many people mock it?

Is there anything actually wrong with it?

Not much to mock. My zone 3 is a 25 quid Uber from anywhere in central London, decent shops/pubs, parks/river, non-stabby and 45 mins to work. Wouldn't live anywhere else.

Zone 3 here 15-17 mins to work.have friends in zone 5 25 mins to work , hardly a trek  is it and you get to live somewhere, clean, with parks,commons, rivers and all the amenities you could wish for in terms of restaurants etc , and when you get home you genuinely feel relaxed and totally detached from work .

unlike those who live in Islington or Holborn and scream about being able to walk to work in 10-20 mins, fook that !

I think the snobbery is about living in surburbia, a dity word in the seventies and eighties.

which is ironinc seeing as how more central London was a filthy swamp in those years

Asturias the issue is that if you move out to the home counties before a certain age you're friends are all still living in some part of suburbia where they are within walking distance of each other and can organise impromptu drinks on a Saturday evening.  Hard to join in if it's going to take you three times as long to get to the pub due to having a use a rail replacement bus service at 8pm on a wet Saturday night.

Totally different when everyone starts moving out and you can then all gather in a local pub a short drive from your country pile.

People should just live where it suits them. I am happy with xzone 5 and my trees and road with horses going by but on the tube.. I can even cycle into London if I really really had to and we have 3 or 4 different tube lines and at least 2 over ground choices too and buses which is a bit different from middle of some nice Kent country side with 1 or 2 trains an hour and probably fewer schools to choose from.

Because central London is like a super massive black hole for twots and circling around it are the Home Counties and the South East in general slowly feeding the inexorable growth of its monstrous navel gazing self absorption. 

What Cookie said. If you don't like it then move. I'm not bothered about zone bollocks. I live in Guildford, 35 mins to Waterloo, close to both airports, and some good countryside. And good pubs, restaurants and all that.

The thing that gets me about zone 5/6 is that it doesn't really feel like suburbia. The green belt sees to that. You come off the A3 through fields and lovely towns like Weybridge and then wham you're in Tolworth.

Fair enough if you like built up urban areas, but I don't see anywhere in London that allows a comparable amount of living space and clean air.

Also the schools. I had a look at Kingston and they're average unless you go private. And that's in the poshest part of zone 6.

What Wellington said , Tiffin grammar is without doubt one of the “best” schools in the Uk, and perhaps unusually for school like that it’s students are thoroughly normal and grounded . There also is Kingston grammar , a standout school.