If your family member was the victim of a crime that resulted in their death and the perpetrator was 100% known but got away with it entirely

Would you "forgive" them or would you conduct a revenge upon them and everyone they had ever known? A blood vengeance across the ages?

(This q inspired by a bin lorry speeding backwards onto the pavement this morning, reminding me of that bin lorry killer in Glasgow who got away scott free cos of the lord advocate at the time being a fanny and he then drove again WHILE BANNED.)

It would rather depend on why the criminal committed the crime in the first place.  If my relative was an aunt who was asking for it I’d be fairly tuglite.

Depends who it was and the nature of the crime obviously.  If its some bin-man who had a blackout while driving and killed my cousin then no.  If its someone murdering my daughter in cold blood then yes, I'd look into harming them, ideally torturing them to death if I thought that was practical and had the stomach to go through with it.  Realistically, probably a contract killing would be the most likely option.   

I love the blase assumption that contract killer is an option.

Sure, yeah, your mate Terry down the Nag and Knacker knows a bloke from when he was in Belmarsh.  Sold him spice.

Bit difficult to get into specifics when it hasn't happened.  Tecco at least had actual people and circumstances to plan around.  

feelingbrill14 Aug 23 09:28

Reply | 

Internet hardman warren’s making a reasonable attempt royalty, but it does miss tecco’s detail

You really need to let this go risky, making your jealousy public isn't going to help your feelings of inferiority and insecurity.  It's you that needs to change mate, not me.  

Wang I was thinking more elderly middle class chaps who think they are fine to drive despite being unable to properly turn their heads to look both ways at junctions.  In fact even my own old man is becoming a bit of a liability but doesn't yet have a medical condition that prevents him renewing his licence.

What Sailo said. We were talking about a nonogenerian driver who’d killed a friend. Shouldn’t have been on the road but there are limited police powers he was saying. 

yeah there was evidence the lorry driver had lied in his medical assessment

I don't think it was ever really proven he blacked out either...

still, sure the daughter who saw her mum quite literally flattened right in front of her a week before Christmas is ok now

does anyone imagine strutter's home life is anything other than a tragic scene of frustration, contempt and ill-fated attempts to procure attention from increasingly appalled NQs down the pub?

Picking up on Wang’s theme , based on the regular reporting of such cases, the contracting out route seems almost guaranteed to end up being an undercover copper posing as a hitm@n.

If a jobs worth doing, as they say….

I’m not sure whether this is heartening in a restore faith in humanity way or not. However, having dealt with bereaved families relatively often, I am always struck by how pragmatic and “forgiving” if that is the right word some have been. Two particular examples spring to mind and, to be blunt, I was completely humbled and moved by their approach to what had happened to their relative and, as a result, their family. Made all the more extraordinary in my mind by virtue of them showing this in the midst of the chaos of the criminal justice system. 
I hope that I could show that same humanity in the awful event I was faced with such circumstances but who knows. 

If it were my kids that were killed I would ride into the perpetrator’s bedroom on a horse while they were sleeping and flail their skull in, Braveheart style. 

I know someone who certainly contributed to the death of his wife (they never figured it out precisely because it was 2 weeks before she was found) and may have actually killed her.

He was arrested but not charged.

Never spoke to him again and karma (or random bad luck) gave him cancer which he died of within 2 years.

All over his obsession with his house, not his marriage but the status symbol of a large property in an expensive suburbs.  

If they were a family member I hate or don 't like then I would still take vengeance as a matter of honour.

If I cared about them or were the love of my life, then there would be a mafia-style vendetta. There would be a blood feud (shootings, torture, dismembering the person while they still lived, with only their torso found in the river) until there is a sit-down and a peace, of sorts, is made.

I would generate fear and respect.

Of course, it would be better to be a man of wealth and power, with soldati to execute (as it were) the orders. I, naturally, would be the don and after the war is over, would be the don of dons.

I wondered about this when my kids were young.

If you have no prospect of achieving your peace by battering a perpetrator to a pulp perhaps the next best option is by granting forgiveness and releasing yourself from the grief. They’re both mechanisms of control over the perpetrator. 

One way or another I suspect that those are the only paths to finding a release from such a dreadful scenario  

I wouldn’t personally have any qualms about finding my peace in removing a child murderer from society once entirely satisfied of their guilt.

I think it a qualitatively different retribution to that of a state that either allows capital punishment or allows the victims family to exact revenge once the perpetrator is sentenced.

The revenge would need to be completely extra the state. 

A few days before my son was born, some years ago, and so just as I was about to go on paternity leave, I was called into the senior partners office first thing in the morning and told to go to a certain police station.

A refuse lorry had reversed over a pre-teen girl. The first that they were aware of it was when they saw her body emerge from under the front of the vehicle. 

Oddly enough, last night I had a nightmare that my family were having a picnic, and we watched a reversing car with it's petrol hatch open catch a small boy. The car, in my break, morphed into a lorry, kept going, and wrapped him around the tyre. I screamed "dont watch" at my daughter, turned her head, and woke up at that point.

It's fair to say that, when I was representing the driver against a charge of due care (death by careless was not a thing back then), being without kids and pretty young and feckless, I did not fully or properly understand the trauma either on him, his colleagues or the family. It was only after my son was born, and I went back to work, that I "got" it.

Anyway, I digress. 

In my mind, in the hypothetical situation that you posit, and which I often consider because I live under a constant fear that something is going to happen to my kids, I like to think that I would kidnap the person involved, and torture them to death over the course of a few days, while filming it.

Imprisonment be damned. If my family were killed, no point pretending to live a normal live.