Cars in the 1990s
Anonymous (not verified) 07 Feb 20 10:42
Reply |

"It wasn’t a very good decade for cars, the 1990s. Great decade for football tho." - Laz.

Anyone else completely disagree with the first part of this ? There were some cracking cars in the 90s.

Exhbit A: the Maclaren F1

Image result for mclaren f1

Why do people insist on picking arguments like this? Did I say “there were no good cars in the 1990s?” I was there - you’re not going to change my opinion that generally it was not a great period for design.

the real beauty of the elise was the reliance on extruded aluminium for parts that would normally be cast or milled from steel (brake levers, pedals, chassis rails, gear stick, handbrake lever, steering column etc) all contributing, along with the lack of carpets etc, to a massive weight saving which made the power to weight ratio extraordinary.

When was the Puma? 

They were ace. I had one. Loved it. 

Until we had kids, and I have to get another car and realised how awful the Puma gearbox was.

The Puma was the first car I owned which I was proud of.  Mine was a 2001.  Gun metal grey.  Utterly catastrophic lights which meant that you couldn't drive in the dark (countryside) without street lighting, but otherwise COOL. AS. fook.

The Ferrari F40 was still being manufactured in the 90s which makes it a better decade than any other except the 80s, in which the F40 was also manufactured.

I once went to a TVR dealership as a relatively young man to see a Vauxhall VX220 (taken in part-ex) and when looking at the TVRs the DEALER told me not to bother because they broke all the time and needed an older rich owner who didn’t care about the costs.  Lolz

A TVR dealer once discouraged me from having a test drive on the basis that the insurance excess was massive. I said well I can hardly buy it if I’ve never driven it, can I? and he kind of shrugged and said something to the effect of: nobody buys them anyway. I think he made his actual living selling ride on mowers.

Does anyone know why they folded ?

Because, whilst they looked good, they couldn’t go more than 100 yards without breaking down / exploding

they do remind me of John Travolta in Swordfish though. Great film. Mainly known because Halle Berry gets her norks out