Rayner’s 23000 pound kitchen

https://order-order.com/2024/04/18/rayner-claims-kitchen-renovation-offset-all-of-her-tax-liability/

Of course, if she’s now using this argument she must be abandoning the claim it was her main residence 

PLUCKY BRITS UP AND DOWN THE LAND CAN ALL EMPATHISE WITH MARK MENZIES MP’S TRAVAILS - WE’VE ALL BEEN THERE: I KNOW I HAVE!! - BUT THEY WILL BE SHAKING THEIR HEADS IN SHOCK AND DISBELIEF THAT ANGELA RAYNER - A POOR!! - MAY HAVE DONE UP HER KITCHEN!!

Guido would actually be a useful publication if it wasn't so absolutely full of utter shit. Imagine if it held politicians to account, rather than creating sensationalist non sequiturs out of the scantest of evidence. 

The real scandal is how a poor can afford to spend 4 figures on a new kitchen, let alone 5 figures.

The Tories haven’t spent 15 years determinedly obliterating any semblance of meritocracy for poors to be able to do this sort of thing.

Claiming an exemption rather than correctly calculating the cost of the chargeable asset disposed is an incorrect return.  The error will probably be concluded 'careless not deliberate' as per Zahawi  

My brother spent 150k on his Kitchen.  Then another 150k in legal fees and remedial costs when he had to sue the original builder (he got that back from the courts).  Admittedly it involved demolition of an old extension and building a new double height extension.

She is digging a hole for herself on this with every step .  The form to transfer the ex council house when she sold it TR1 gives her new (almost certainly correct) residential address she shared with her husband in 2015  Instead of giving the council house address on it (weird that she did not but obviously she is as honest as the day is long so was truthful on that form).  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13331907/house-sale-document-a…

I love how people don’t understand that both sides in a scandal like this will have scoped out their entire positions from the off,  and then just gambled on how it will play out. That’s how much of politics works. You’d think even average lawyers would have worked that out.

Hang on so the mail's evidence is that the person who witnessed a document lived on a different street 

Erm any lawyers around want to suggest how strong that evidence is?????

Most of my documents are witnessesed by people I work with ffs 

Get a grip Tories!!!!!! 

Isn’t a new kitchen only deductible for cgt if it was an improvement not a replacement- and most kitchens are a replacement so unlikely you could claim most of it.  I haven’t red Dan needles comment on this but the staring point is that the presumption is a replacement kitchen is not deductible 

It’s proving most helpful on the they’re all the same argumentation especially given who it is.  Also the ‘poor’ element and the 23k new kitchen is cutting through 

‘The only people who think this is a winning story are the ones who already hate her for being poor and outspoken. It's not changing any votes.’

That’s unfair. Quite a few of them also hate her for being poor, outspoken, and a woman.