One of my progeny just racked up £495 on in-game purchases....what to do?
Transdimension… 11 Apr 24 11:05
Reply |

In mitigation (his offering) 

a) They were for his friends, which is actually quite nice in a way.

b) It was his Mum's card (my ex), which is actually quite nice in a way.

c) She hadn't set the password on Apple Pay, so I'm really just a neutral, which is actually quite nice in a way.

He's 10, btw. 

ask Apple to refund because a kid got hold of it 

if they won't then treat as a teachable moment 

there is really no excuse for anyone who lets their kids play online games to not have done something about predatory microtransactions and gambling mechanics 

I'll pass that on 🙂

He's playing innocent, it's not washing. 

7 x £49 transactions in rapid succession amongst them all, before anyone even batted an eyelid. Scary.

Transdimensional_Sex_Bee11 Apr 24 11:11

This is Apple. Who have responded with the digital equivalent of a middle finger.

____________________________________________________________________________________

I suspect there is a long winded argument you can make here about children lacking contractual capacity, them benefiting from what is in effect a fraud, unjustified enrichment blah blah, small claims court precedent blah blah 

and you can probably wear them down if you are prepared to argue through the first 3 or 4 layers of offshore customer service with no authority to help you

if they won't then treat as a teachable moment 

there is really no excuse for anyone who lets their kids play online games to not have done something about predatory microtransactions and gambling mechanics 

This, tbf. 

Lucky it wasn't more, apparently he was 'feeling kind that day'. Heh.

Sort of proud of him, in a way. 

and you can probably wear them down if you are prepared to argue through the first 3 or 4 layers of offshore customer service with no authority to help you

That's his Mum's idea of a good time., think I'll leave her to it.

10 i s the most important part of the first post. Gypsies get under 10s to do things. 10 is the age of legal liability for crimes in English law.

Anyway more seriously (as I doubt you want him arrested for theft) it is probably going to be easier if his mother drops trying to get a refund and better measures are taken in future so it does not happen again. One of ours in the days of landlines racked up a very big telephone bill abroad. I paid it. I don't the person had any idea what charges were being incurred and it never happened again.

Heh.  #2 managed to do this by using a chatjot to compose a text to me explaining in drunk russel brand a-level prose why I should buy #2 a new PSV game.

Was refunded.

AI got revenge when he eventually saved up and bought the game for the easter hols.  Amazon decided to replace the game with urinal trough cubes.  I fair soiled myself laughing.

I think she will drop it, tbh. She's bought him V-bucks on Fortnite in the past, so this isn't new territory. I'm almost certain he knew what was going on anyway, despite his protestations, which were pretty half-hearted anyway.

Sloppy of her to have given him card access without any password per transaction set-up, really.

I think you can gently explain to your son about not doing this without permission cos someone else is paying, and then feel quietly pleased for the rest of the day. 

Transdimensional_Sex_Bee11 Apr 24 13:17

Don't think they'll be too bothered unless I take up the law

au contraire, sounds like you're exactly at the point in your legal career that the SRA cares most and clamps down on hardest

(If they find out). 

My ex boss used to say tell your offspring never to accept a caution if you can help it as does them no professional favours. Think it’s quite easy for teenagers just to say okay and move on.