Our UK tax team is unique in its breadth and depth – no other firm has leading corporate tax, finance tax, real estate tax, funds tax, indirect tax and tax litigation expertise. We advise some of the world's largest and most complex businesses, and work on transactions and disputes that hit the headlines.
We are exceptionally well placed to provide the tax advice which global businesses need in today's challenging environment. We believe that the provision of cross-border tax advice is critical to the success of businesses operating across national borders. London is a key hub in a network of offices with tax expertise across the globe; our global reach supports clients in a manner that few international law firms can match.
We have significant depth of resources. You would join a team of around 150 specialist tax advisers worldwide. The London Tax group has 6 partners and 14 associates.
Who you will work with
We both provide standalone tax advice, and work closely with our corporate, finance, capital markets and real estate colleagues to deliver commercial advice across the full spectrum of transactions -from M&A transactions, to structured financings, to restructurings, to fund establishments, to large commercial real estate deals. Tax is often central to the Firm's ability to win and execute these transactions.
So as a Senior Associate/ Counsel, you would be working as part of a highly regarded and ambitious team, advising the world's leading financial institutions and corporates (as well as governments, governmental organisations, trade and industry associations and other representative bodies), and acting on the largest and most complex matters – almost all with a strong international element.
What you will be responsible for
As a Senior Associate/ Counsel you will work at the forefront of the market across a diverse range of tax work including:
• Advising on international and domestic tax, covering a wide range of M&A and corporate structuring, bank and bond financing, structured debt, leasing, real estate investment and development, funds and other forms of non-bank investment.
• Tax disputes, whether corporation tax, VAT, bank levy or other indirect taxes.
• Bespoke tax advice, usually on highly complex points of law.
• Tax policy advice to industry bodies and governments.
• The nature of Clifford Chance means that the work has a strong international flavour; it is rare for the UK to be the only jurisdiction relevant to a matter.
• You will advise many of the world's largest and most complex corporates and financial institutions, as well as central banks and governments. We also provide pro bono advice to some of the world's most influential NGOs.
What you will do
Key tasks and responsibilities:
• You will be working with a broad range of clients and the Firm's other teams and practice areas, not only in London, but across the globe.
• You will have exposure to work which often involves complex, high value matters that frequently headline in the financial and business press.
• As you grow in experience, you will have extensive client contact both as part of your daily working routine but will also have the opportunity to develop new client contacts.
• You will develop an unbeatable multi-disciplinary skill set as well as client facing skills whilst working with some of the best-known market leaders in their respective practice areas.
Your career experience so far
You will have strong relevant corporate tax experience as a lawyer with an established tax practice, probably gained at a City firm, or at an overseas practice in a common law jurisdiction with a highly regarded profile. Whilst we advise on a wide range of taxes and transactions, we do not expect candidates' experience to cover this full range.
In all cases you will have an outstanding academic history and proven first rate legal skills, combined with a strong reputation amongst existing clients for providing commercial solutions and excellent transactional and managements skills.
You should demonstrate strong communication and analytical skills along with a high level of commercial awareness.
You will need to demonstrate that you can thrive in a team with high professional standards and a flexible client-friendly commercial approach. You will have had strong exposure of collaborating with multi-jurisdictional and multi-disciplinary teams.
It is crucial that you can demonstrate an appetite for business development, client relationship management and thought leadership.
How we will support you
From your first day with us, you will have varied opportunities to continuously grow and develop your skills and knowledge. From formal training, informal coaching and mentoring through to skills-based and technical training and on the job learning.
About the Firm
Whatever your area of expertise, you will find a range of career opportunities at Clifford Chance. And wherever you’re heading, Clifford Chance is where you can be true to your ambitions.
Our firm, work and people span jurisdictions, cultures and languages. In a world where commercial success increasingly relies on globalisation, we offer clients a truly international perspective, and we offer our people a rewarding and stimulating career.
We're proud of our approachable, friendly and team-based way of working. Highly professional and self-assured, with an entrepreneurial streak, our people are more than happy to share their expertise and knowledge.
This role follows our 'balanced' hybrid working approach and as long as business needs allow, you will be supported to work in a hybrid way with the expectation of working from the office for a minimum of 50% of your time. Please see our careers site for further information on our working environment.
To find out more about what it is like to work in Clifford Chance in UK, please visit link.
At Clifford Chance we understand that our true asset is our people. Inclusion is good for our team and their families, our firm and society.
We are committed to treating all employees and applicants fairly and equally regardless of their gender, gender identity and expression, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, national or ethnic origin, social or economic background, disability, religious belief, sexual orientation, or age. This applies to recruitment and selection, terms and conditions of employment including pay, promotion, training, transfer and every other aspect of employment.
Our goal is to deliver an equality of opportunity, an equality of aspiration and an equality of experience to everyone who works in our firm. Find out more here.