Clifford Chance is one of the world's leading law firms, helping clients achieve their goals by combining the highest global standards with local expertise. The firm has unrivalled scale and depth of legal resources across the three key markets of the Americas, Asia and Europe and focuses on the core areas of commercial activity: capital markets; corporate and M&A; finance and banking; real estate; tax; pensions and employment; litigation and dispute resolution.
We acquired our Newcastle office in early 2018, where our team of more than 60 paralegals, senior paralegals and operations managers bring decades of experience, expertise and specialist knowledge to areas such as legal tech and process-driven service delivery.
This is an opening for a Senior Real Estate Lawyer to help build out and lead a small team of Real Estate lawyers in our Newcastle office to work alongside our London office Practice Areas providing Real Estate specialist advice and support on market leading transactions.
At Clifford Chance we specialise in providing commercial legal advice on all transaction types where real estate is the core asset. Acting for the real estate industry's leading players, we advise on the full range of real estate-related transactions. Our leading real estate practice, with over 300 Partners and Lawyers worldwide, offers UK, European, Asian and US real estate capability and advises the real estate industry’s leading players on the entire property ‘life-cycle’.
We are building a small transactional real estate team which will be based in our Newcastle office. This team will principally work alongside the London Real Estate Transaction Group on its transactions and will also work with the London Finance and London Corporate Practice Areas providing specialist real estate advice and support. Duties will include but not be limited to:
- assisting in the management of large transactions, including Real Estate, Real Estate Finance and Corporate M&A transactions and in particular, managing due diligence work streams;
- working on the real estate aspects of energy and infrastructure projects such as land acquisition, pipeline easements, due diligence (including producing or reviewing certificates of title/reports on title);
- ongoing management work such as lettings, licences for clients and lender consent matters;
- provide support to social housing transactions, primarily reviewing certificates of title and other due diligence exercises;
- working alongside the Real Estate Transaction Group on various works streams in relations to acquisitions, developments, investments and disposals;
- the team will also lead on developing standard operating procedures and processes to allow greater facilitation of artificial intelligence in the scope of real estate transactions.
- Able to take day to day responsibility for advising, managing and completing your own workload while also leading, managing and motivating a team of up to four fee-earners in Newcastle (anticipated to be mid-level and junior associates) involved in work as outlined above;
- The work will include organization of allocated work streams, responsibility for delivery of those work streams working closely with Partners and other Lawyers in the London office.
- It will involve client contact, conducting negotiations and drafting.
Skills and Experience:
- Solid experience advising on real estate matters including acquisitions and disposals, landlord and tenant matters, real estate development, and due diligence.
- Solid experience of providing RE specialist input/advice on Corporate, Finance and Restructuring matters (including managing teams).
- Strong legal skills with the ability to provide commercial solutions.
- Good transactional and management skills, with experience of managing large projects with multiple work streams.
- An organised and structured approach.
- Experience of taking a leading role in advising clients, supervising junior Lawyers and completing transactions, and ideally experience of people management, including providing direction to more junior fee-earners, and delivering appraisals and conducting 1:1 meetings with direct reports; You will enjoy working in a busy and supportive team, supervising others and liaising with Lawyers in other practice areas and/or offices in the firm.
- Good negotiating and presentation skills.
- Good drafting skills.
- Sound commercial judgment.
- A good sound knowledge of real estate law and the commercial real estate market.
- Solid experience in leading and managing teams or managing large scale transactions with multiple workstreams.
- Excellent academic record.
- England & Wales qualified solicitor.
In order to provide outstanding client service, we need to understand, anticipate and fulfil the unique needs and expectations of each client. We call this "Client Focus" and to help deliver this core part of our business strategy, we want to recruit lawyers who not only have the highest level of technical skills but are also Client Focused.
We are looking for lawyers who:
- are good at fostering relationships with clients;
- can work in teams, share knowledge and motivate and coach their juniors and contribute to overall successes;
- are empathetic, responsive and reliable;
- are commercial and practical in the solutions they deliver to clients;
- demonstrate a keen interest to learn about our clients' business.
Opening Date: 10th January 2019
Closing Date: 9th February 2019