Our global Private Equity group lies at the heart of the Firm's business strategy and, in London, the group sits at the hub of our Corporate practice. It offers unparalleled opportunities to work on the most high-profile and market-leading mandates. The group advises an impressive range of clients, covering a wide variety of financial sponsors (including many leading international private equity houses, infrastructure and other investment funds, banks and other financial institutions), their portfolio companies and management teams. The group is supported by the Firm's integrated network of offices (providing the largest geographic coverage of any single law firm) as well as expertise in other key complementary practice areas (including acquisition finance, capital markets, funds and regulatory) and industry sectors to offer clients unrivalled strength and depth of resource.
Our global team is best known for our capacity to lead on PE transactions of any nature and anywhere in the world. Having been leaders in PE since its inception 40 years ago and with over 700 private equity lawyers across our offices, the diversity of our clients and product areas, the geographies we work in, and our wider industry knowledge gives us a global perspective on private equity trends and issues
We continue to be recognised by leading industry bodies for our market leading work. Recent awards include:
- Band 1 Chamber UK 2021: Private Equity
- Tier 1 Legal 500 UK 2021: Infrastructure
- International Law Firm of the Year Private Equity Deal of the Year: IFLR Europe Awards 2020
- Corporate Team of the Year and 'Highly Commended' in the Private Equity Team of the Year category: Legal Business Awards 2020
- Global Law Firm of the Year: Infrastructure Investor Awards 2019
- European and African Legal Adviser: IJGlobal Awards 2019
- Ranked 1st for volume (Global, Europe & UK): Inframation 2019 league tables
Below is a sample list of our notable PE Deals:
- Blackstone on it public-to-private (P2P) acquisition of the Dutch bank, NIBC
- Cinven and GIC on acquisition of (re)insurance broker Miller Insurance
- Clayton Dubilier & Rice (CD&R) on its acquisition of the Wolseley UK plumbing and heating distribution business
- Cubico Sustainable Investments, a leading global investor in renewable energy owned by PSP and OTPP, on the sale of a 49% stake in its 250MW UK portfolio
- CVC on the acquisition of the Turkish, Greek, Croatian, Montenegrin and UAE businesses of D-Marin, an operator of premium yacht marinas
- Infracapital and AMP Capital on the disposal of 100% of Adven, a leading provider of clean energy solutions across the Nordics and Baltics
- Onex on the acquisition of Independent Clinical Services (ICS) from TowerBrook
- Permira on the acquisition of Neuraxpharm, a European specialist pharma company, from Apax
- TPG on its acquisition of c. 1 gigawatt (GW) of solar PV projects from the Chinese based Trina Solar
Who you will work with
The lawyers in our Private Equity group are at the centre of market leading transactions, not only as legal advisers but working closely with clients at a strategic and business level. The entrepreneurial nature of the Private Equity deals that we work on requires lawyers with a unique blend of specialist skills. In today's challenging market environment, we play a key role to our clients as a strategic adviser, requiring practical, commercially minded legal advice to help them and their portfolio companies respond swiftly and effectively to the challenges and opportunities they face.
What you will be responsible for
As an associate in our leading practice, you will work at the forefront of the market across a diverse range of deals. You will be part of team that offers cutting edge advice complemented by unrivalled quality of service, experience and training.
We advise on all aspects of private equity transactions, including:
- Investments, whether by way of private acquisitions, public company takeovers, minority investments or joint ventures.
- Exits, whether by way of trade sale, IPO or dual track.
- Ongoing work for portfolio companies, including add-on acquisitions, asset sales, refinancing and restructurings.
Your role will include:
- Being an integral member of the deal team on transactions, leading key workstreams on large transactions and potentially even running smaller transactions (depending on your precise level and experience).
- Drafting legal documents clearly and concisely, creating solutions using legal knowledge and commercial judgement to advise and support leading multi-national corporates.
- Developing relationships with clients and actively engaging in business development and thought leadership initiatives and seeking out opportunities for new work.
Your career experience so far
You will have strong, relevant M&A transactional experience as a mid-level lawyer, probably gained at a City firm, or at an overseas common law practice with a highly regarded profile.
Further, you will have an outstanding academic history and proven first rate legal skills, combined with a strong reputation amongst existing clients for providing commercial solutions, excellent transactional and managements skills, and be recognised as a lawyer that is sought out by existing clients.
You will naturally be able to demonstrate excellent document drafting skills. You should demonstrate strong communication and analytical skills along with a high level of commercial awareness.
You will need to demonstrate that you can thrive in a team with high professional standards and a flexible client-friendly commercial approach. You will have had strong exposure of collaborating with multi-jurisdictional and multi-disciplinary teams.
It is crucial that you can demonstrate an appetite for business development, client relationship management and thought leadership.
How we will support you
From your first day with us, you will have varied opportunities to continuously grow and develop your skills and knowledge. From formal training, informal coaching and mentoring through to skills-based and technical training and on the job learning.
- You will be working with a broad range clients and the Firm's other teams and practice areas, not only in London, but across the globe.
- You will have extensive client contact both as part of your daily working routine but will also have the opportunity to develop client contacts.
- You will develop an unbeatable multi-disciplinary skill set, including client facing skills, whilst working with some of the best-known market leaders in their respective practice areas.
- We will provide the opportunity for you to develop as a recognised practitioner in the field.
About the Firm
Whatever your area of expertise, you will find a range of career opportunities at Clifford Chance. And wherever you’re heading, Clifford Chance is where you can be true to your ambitions.
Our firm, work and people span jurisdictions, cultures and languages. In a world where commercial success increasingly relies on globalisation, we offer clients a truly international perspective, and we offer our people a rewarding and stimulating career.
We're proud of our approachable, friendly and team-based way of working. Highly professional and self-assured, with an entrepreneurial streak, our people are more than happy to share their expertise and knowledge.
At Clifford Chance we understand that our true asset is our people. Inclusion is good for our team and their families, our firm and society.
We are committed to treating all employees and applicants fairly and equally regardless of their gender, gender identity and expression, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, national or ethnic origin, social or economic background, disability, religious belief, sexual orientation, or age.
This applies to recruitment and selection, terms and conditions of employment including pay, promotion, training, transfer and every other aspect of employment.
Our goal is to deliver an equality of opportunity, an equality of aspiration and an equality of experience to everyone who works in our firm. Find out more here.
Competitive Salary and discretionary bonus, plus a range of exceptional benefits including pension, private medical cover, life insurance and income replacement insurance.