Peerpoint is Allen & Overy’s global platform for self-directed consultant lawyers who want to access the best work, clients, resources and bespoke support, whilst working on assignments of typically six months or more, either within Allen & Overy practice groups or directly with clients as legal consultants. To find out more, please visit www.peerpoint.com and download our UK candidate brochure.
The benefits of being a legal consultant with Peerpoint
Lawyers join us for all kinds of reasons. More variety. More challenge. More flexibility and balance. Whatever your motivations, you can keep developing and progressing your career with our support.
Legal consulting with Peerpoint enables you to work on a variety of assignments with top-tier organisations in a range of sectors, thereby advancing your career and diversifying your experience at a faster pace. It can provide a fulfilling long-term career in itself, or it can be a way of gaining new skills to move towards your goal of a certain type of permanent role in the future. Through tailored and objective career advice and coaching, the Peerpoint team works closely with you to understand your goals and ambitions, and what you want to achieve with each role, in order to support you in identifying the opportunities that are best for you.
Whilst enjoying greater independence as a Peerpoint consultant, you are never alone and will have access to high quality resources, training and the support of A&O and Peerpoint, as well as being part of a community of like-minded lawyers.
We are currently looking for lawyers with 4-10 years’ top-tier post-qualification experience in the following areas:
- Banking and finance (particularly leveraged finance and general lending)
- International capital markets (derivatives and structured finance, debt capital markets, equity capital markets and securitisation)
- Financial services regulation
- Funds and asset management
- Corporate (M&A, reorganisations, equity capital markets, corporate advisory and commercial law)
We are also looking for lawyers with at least 5 years' top-tier post-qualification experience in the following areas:
- Commercial law, technology and data privacy
- Employment law
Successful applicants will:
- have a minimum of two to four years' (depending on practice area) post-qualification experience at a law firm ranked as top tier for their area of expertise;
- ideally have recent in-house legal experience at a leading financial services institution or corporate (directly or as a secondee);
- have a desire to take ownership of their career and be responsible for their own professional development and network, proactively making use of any support and resources available;
- have researched the personal and financial factors that you need to consider when commencing a career as a legal consultant and be comfortable with the ways in which it differs from permanent employment;
- be committed to building a positive and productive relationship with Peerpoint, including having a transparent, open and responsive style of communication;
- have a consultant mindset, including a highly professional, flexible and adaptable outlook and approach;
- have an ability to make effective transitions into new environments and be motivated to deliver an excellent standard of service to each client;
- have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with an ability to professionally deal with stakeholders at all levels, building strong relationships internally and externally;
- be resilient, autonomous and highly credible, with exemplary commercial/business acumen and client service ethic;
- have proven project management skills; and
- have a practising certificate (or equivalent) which entitles them to practise as a lawyer in the UK.
NOTE: Due to nature of the relationship between Peerpoint and our legal consultants, we are not able to sponsor visas. Applicants are therefore required to have a right to reside and work in the UK.
Examples of recent opportunities
- A leveraged finance lawyer supporting A&O’s banking practice on top-tier transactions.
- A debt capital markets lawyer providing transactional support to the Allen & Overy DCM practice.
- A financial services regulatory lawyer working within an investment bank on the implementation of new regulations, providing legal advisory coverage on queries relating to the rules and requirements coming into place.
- An asset management lawyer working within the investment management arm of a financial services company, assisting with the legal issues relating to investment management activities and the global marketing and distribution of funds, including the negotiation of investment management agreements and fund distribution agreements.
- A corporate lawyer working within the ECM/M&A team of an investment bank’s legal team, covering front end work for the ECM and M&A businesses.
- A commercial lawyer supporting a growth technology company advising on a variety of commercial contracts and data protection matters.
- A senior employment lawyer supporting a global financial institution on investigations including whistleblowing.
Please note that, due to the high volume of applications, it is our policy not to provide individual feedback at the application stage.