Corporate – Commercial & Technology
Head of Data and Cyber Security Law, Commercial & Technology
Purpose of job:
To provide Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner’s clients with specialist data privacy advice. This will primarily be non – contentious advice, however you will also work closely with members of our Litigation and Corporate Risk department on pre-and post-contentious data breach and cyber-attack legal support.
What’s in it for you?
This is an exciting opportunity for a Senior Associate with specialist data privacy experience to develop their career and personal profile within an expanding data privacy and cyber security team in a top corporate practice in the city.
There is a busy pipeline of multi-jurisdictional work through the Firm’s clients, across a broad range of sectors and from most of the Firm’s practices, with significant room for further growth. Our corporate lawyers are seen as commercial, innovative and the role will enable you to have significant client contact. You will have a real opportunity to make your mark within our Corporate Department and the wider Firm. The highly regarded Commercial & Technology practice represents household names and other clients on a range of strategic commercial, data protection and cyber matters, IT, outsourcing and IP protection.
Your career is important to us and the success of our Firm is driven by ensuring that every employee fulfils their potential. Lawyers, PAs and business services experts - everyone here has access to tailored learning to suit their skills and ambitions.
Making sure our people feel valued is part of our everyday culture, ensuring that they are rewarded is part of our everyday work, too. From 25 days holiday per year to private medical insurance, pensions, charity schemes and a whole host of other flexible benefits, we offer a competitive package.
Join BLP, and you'll discover an environment unlike any other law firm with an open door policy that helps to deliver real results.
To provide Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner’s clients with expertise in primarily non-contentious data privacy advice; you will also work closely with lawyers in our Litigation and Corporate Risk department on pre-and post-contentious data breach and cyber-attacks.
Responsibilities will include:
• Providing specialist advice to clients to ensure their contractual, legal, technical operational systems and processes are GDPR-compliant;
• Updating contracts and policies to reflect GDPR requirements, negotiating terms with counter parties, as required;
• Legal opinions and analysis of topics such as controller versus processor roles, jurisdictional application of the GDPR,
• Providing e-marketing advice;
• Preparing Data Transfer Agreements;
• Conducting Privacy Impact Assessments;
• Coordinating multijurisdictional projects;
• Working alongside Litigation and Corporate Risk to provide clients with data breach and cyber-attack legal support;
• Liaising effectively with external and internal clients, supervision and mentoring of trainees and more junior colleagues.
Head of Commercial & Technology, Head of Data and Cyber Security, Commercial & Technology partners and the wider Commercial & Technology practice group.
Partners and fee earners in other practice groups within the firm, in particular the Litigation and Corporate Risk department and Corporate Finance practice group.
Commercial & Technology Knowledge Development Lawyer and Corporate Marketing team.
Experience and knowledge
• Candidates will possess 5-7 years’ PQE in private practice at an equivalent firm in the city
• Data privacy specialist with substantial GDPR programme exposure and experience of multi-jurisdictional project coordination
• Thorough knowledge of Article 29 Working Party opinions and working papers
• Experience in analysing processing of personal data in controller and processor roles
• Experience of conducting Privacy Impact Assessments
• Experience of assisting clients with ensuring their contractual, legal, technical operational systems and processes are GDPR compliant and updating contracts and policies to reflect GDPR requirement
• Experience of preparing Data Transfer Agreement
• Familiarity with preparing and editing legal updates, articles and blogs
• Experience of providing e-marketing advice
• Direct experience of data breach and cyber-attack legal support would also be advantageous
Skills and competencies
• You will be able to use your specialist technical skills and knowledge to provide practical solutions for clients
• You will have highly developed drafting skills and exceptional attention to detail
• You will be at ease with taking client instructions and demonstrate a full understanding of their goals
• You will have the ability to manage complex files and multiple workloads
• You will be able to take responsibility for ensuring client matters and files are appropriately supervised and managed
Client Relationships & Business Development
• You will be comfortable giving commercially astute advice and demonstrating a thorough understanding of the commercial issues that your clients face
• You will have excellent networking skills, allowing you to build your network and profile across the Firm and externally
• You will demonstrate a full understanding of the drivers of profitability and understand how the business achieves growth
• You will have excellent organisational and prioritising skills with the ability to manage multiple work demands allowing you to dedicate adequate time to fee earning and non-fee earning activities
• You will be motivated, with energy and resilience in the face of demanding situations
• You will be proactive, enthusiastic and positive with a strong team focus, and a collaborative approach
• You will be able to establish strong working relationships with your colleagues with the highest level of professionalism and integrity
• You will have an inclusive approach, and help to foster a diverse and inclusive team and workplace
• You will have strong communication skills, allowing you to communicate with ease at all levels and when under pressure
Diversity, inclusion and working differently
At Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner we understand the value of a diverse workforce and we believe people perform at their best when they can truly be themselves at work. We aim to create an inclusive environment where all our employees are valued, motivated and able to be themselves. In order to provide the best possible service to our diverse client base, we are committed to recruiting, retaining, rewarding and developing our people with regard to their abilities and contributions and without reference to their background, gender, gender identity or expression, ethnic origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, political belief, disability or any other protected characteristic. Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner is a firm with an increasingly flexible workforce and is supportive of flexible working arrangements, tailored to the individual, wherever possible.
Please feel free to speak to the Resourcing Team about the flexibility we are offering for this role.
Please note that our PQE levels as stated in our job descriptions are a guide only and all suitable candidates will be considered.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner ensures all hardcopy materials and information stored electronically containing confidential information are securely stored and accessible only to those authorised to view such content.
Agencies please note: we will not accept speculative CVs sent to hiring managers or partners via email. We can only accept CVs sent via the portal from agencies that have agreed terms of business with the Recruitment team. For further information, contact [email protected].
As a regulated firm of solicitors, Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner is required to undertake appropriate vetting of staff. In addition to completion, by applicants who accept a job offer, of a regulatory questionnaire, BLP uses a specialist provider to undertake professional verification and background checks (including through electronic data sources, and directly with employers and professional bodies/regulators) on our behalf. We will also undertake certain verifications ourselves.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner adopts a risk-based approach to its vetting procedures, which are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with IT, legal and regulatory obligations. For further details, please see our recruitment website: www.bclplaw.com