Competitive Salary and Benefits
Team: Real Estate (Core Real Estate)
Reports to: Team Leader
Purpose of job:
We are currently seeking to recruit a Mandarin speaking Associate / Senior Associate with 3+ years post qualification experience in the real estate sector.
You will have had a broad range of non-contentious real estate experience, working in investment and development, lettings and corporate occupier work and on corporate real estate..
A broad knowledge of real estate as an asset class is required. The Associate or Senior Associate would be involved in driving and managing complex and large scale investment transactions and projects for a wide range of clients which include PE houses, funds and debt clients. In addition you would be expected to closely supervise, coach and mentor more junior members of the team.
The firm advises in a way that supports the client's strategic objectives whilst being practical and commercial and we would expect candidates to demonstrate their ability to provide advice in this way.
What’s in it for you?
Our market-leading real estate practice combines key sector knowledge, unparalleled technical ability and a commercial focus, which ensures clients receive the best possible support and guidance. We are consistently ranked number one by the legal directories across all of real estate disciplines with lawyers that are recognised as experts in their fields.
Much of the complex work we carry out requires a multi-disciplinary approach and we regularly work closely, with specialisms across the firm in our corporate, finance, tax and risk management functions. We focus on all issues relating to planning, construction and engineering, direct and indirect investment, funds, real estate & property finance, tax, development, securitisation, dispute resolution, environment and regulatory. Our key sectors include leisure, hotels, student accommodation, public sector and retail.
• Develops specialist expertise and identifies potential legal issues arising outside own practice area
• Uses technical skills and knowledge to suggest creative, but practical solutions
• Drafts complex documents and consults where appropriate
• Manages complex files and multiple workloads, consulting when appropriate
• Conducts negotiations and adapts approach to fit client needs
• Takes client instructions and has a full understanding of the client's goals
• Starts to take a lead role in client relationships in conjunction with a partner
• Gives commercially astute advice and demonstrates a thorough understanding of the commercial issues that clients face
• Monitors any changes in scope with the client and keeps the partner updated
• Manages work demands to ensure that time is available for Firm and practice management activities
• Demonstrates a full understanding of how the Firm manages its business to achieve growth and profitability
• Generates realistic fee estimates for partner review
Partners and supervision, coaching and mentoring of juniors
Experience and knowledge
• Solid experience across the entire real estate sector, gained within a comparable environment to Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner
Skills and competencies
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
• Fluency in written and spoken business mandarin
• A high level of client contact and responsibility for client matters
• The ability project manage client matters, coordinating fee earners in Real Estate and other departments as required
• A willingness and ability to support business development activity, creating and maintaining strong client relationships and identifying new business opportunities
• Analytical and drafting skills
• Flexibility and adaptability, supporting cases across a broad range of legal issues
• Commercial focus with a knowledge of key areas of real estate law and able to provide clear, concise, practical advice
• Delegation and supervisory skills where appropriate
• Confidence in front of clients
• Clear and concise communication skills
• The ability to work independently but also keen to work in a challenging, team-based environment
Diversity, inclusion and working differently
Diversity and inclusion is at the heart of our firm. At Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner we aim to create an inclusive and inspirational culture where all our employees are valued, motivated and able to be themselves. Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner is a firm with an increasingly flexible workforce and is supportive of flexible working arrangements, tailored to the individual, wherever possible.
Please feel free to speak to the Recruitment Team about the flexibility we are offering for this role.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner ensures all hardcopy and electronic materials containing confidential information are securely stored and accessible only to those authorised to view such content.
Please note: we will not accept speculative CVs sent to hiring managers or partners via email. We can only accept CVs sent via the portal from agencies that have agreed terms of business with the Recruitment team. For further information, contact [email protected].
As a regulated firm of solicitors, Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner is required to undertake appropriate vetting of staff. In addition to completion, by applicants who accept a job offer, of a regulatory questionnaire, BLP uses a specialist provider to undertake professional verification and background checks (including through electronic data sources and directly with employers and professional bodies/regulators) on our behalf. We will also undertake certain verifications ourselves.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner adopts a risk-based approach to its vetting procedures, which are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with IT, legal and regulatory obligations. For further details, please see our recruitment website: www.bclplaw.com
Application Close Date: 3 January 2020