Yang2020
Johnny Hellzapoppin' 25 Feb 19 10:13
Reply |

I said Yang, not Wang: no offence to RoF's finest.

I like the cut of Andrew Yang's jib. He's very open, charismatic, and persuasive with an evidenced-based approach to the main hard problems out there. His main thing is the roll out UBI (rebranded as the "freedom dividend").

I'm still not 100% convinced about the merits of UBI, in that we don't yet know what the negative externalities might be, but I think he would absolutely wipe the floor with Trump if he got to run, and would be a far more unifying figure than the other Dems I'm aware of.   

he does seem like a sensible chap. But I can’t help thinking it’s easy to be sensible when you know you can’t win and you don’t actually have to make any of the messy compromises that governing actually entails. 

Its a bit Lib Dem 2010 - if he actually wins (he won’t of course) there’ll be a big WTF moment 

Fair point, as yet he's unsullied by the horse trading of party politics. But I don't know, if he can mobilise social media as he's already started to do, who knows what's possible these days? 

He's said himself even if he ultimately doesn't win, he'll be happy shift the debate on this problem (i.e. the coming carnage to be wrought by increasing automation).