Living Wage to rise to £8.21 p/h

I suppose we should be pleased at small progress, but it seems a derisory amount really.

You would be very surprised at the number of households in the UK that live on small incomes like £8,500 a year or £18,500 a year.  

Just for starters, 32 hours x 52 weeks x £8.31 is £13,827.84 which represents what many have for a household of four to live on. 

Obvs you get free healthcare and free educashun, but it's not a lot.  

1. I am not Hanners. 

2. The article is bollocks. "There are better ways of raising the incomes of Britain’s poorest. One would be to boost the provision of targeted in-work benefits such as tax credits (wage top-ups for the low-paid), as Mr Blair’s Labour governments did." ffs.

3. tax credit is a subsidy to employers to pay less. 

4. Comparing wages is meaningless unless you factor in cost of living. 

HTH

No. I mean the Living Wage, which is why I said the Living Wage.

The Minimum Wage is even more of a joke.

**** me, what sort of 3rd World country is this where people can live in borderline poverty? It's because the entire Parluament is now composed of "progressive" neo-Whigs who know the price of everything and the value of nothing. Even people like Corbyn who should know better say nothing. 

It’s a disgrace that there has been an increase in kids living in poverty. There isn’t one reason why 1 child should live in poverty in the 5th largest and most prosperous economy in the world 

It’s weird.  One of my friends would need to be earning about £30k a year to get the same as he receives in benefits.  (Including some disability stuff there).

There are no jobs around here for that kind of money, all the minimum wage does in this area is disincentivise small employers from taking on a few extra staff.

Relative poverty is: - 

income less than:

• £248 a week for a couple with no children
  • £144 a week for a single person with no children
  • £401 a week for a couple with two children aged between five and 14
  • £297 a week for single parent with two children aged between five and 14