Changing contracting party

One party wants one of its other subsids to be the party to the contract...I can never work out the simplest way to do this...novation? assignment?  

OR do a variation between the 2 original parties and add in to that the third party and what they will do/ get under the orig contract/ make them a party to the orig contract