100 years of the Council House

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/iZKMPd0wjP/council_housing

and now look at the state of social housing in this country

council housing is so odd. people seem to think they have a right to it. I know a secondary school head teacher who lives in a council house.

he lives in a house, a very shyt house 

from the council

he's got marking to do

and sometimes needs the loo

house du councilllllllll

he does drink smoke & laugh

but he aint got no bath 

from the council

but in the kitchen sink

there's a nozzle u can link 

from the council

"council housing is so odd. people seem to think they have a right to it. I know a secondary school head teacher who lives in a council house."

Indeed, see Bob Crow as an example.

I thought the whole point was that if you do live in a council house you have a right to it...

you do, as do your descendents

I don't really understand why

My old man's a dustman
He wears a dustman's hat
He wears "cor-blimey" trousers
And he lives in a council flat

seems to me to be fair enough not to kick people out of their home after many years if they don't want to go but equally if they can afford to they should pay full market rent.

It does produce some oddities.  Near us in. West London we used to have a neighbour who lived on his own in a whole Victorian terraced house owned by the council.   

For this he paid £50 per week.  

At the time, those houses were selling for about £950K.  Much more now.  

The  neighbour had a good job as a council officer, took overseas holidays, went to the football a lot and drove a new-ish BMW.  

I couldn’t help feeling that this was a very large subsidy to someone who did not need subsidising.  

I spent a while making a council flat in a rather nice part of London look lived in as the tenant was living elsewhere but didn't want to lose it as his plan was to pass it onto his daughter.  Felt somewhat ridiculous.

Local government should be allowed to build many more of them, like the 30s and then after the war. the problem is also they became a bye word for sink housing. In the 70s why I was a kid council housing was not a dirty word it is now. 

True Amberman, and it was when the policy changed to moving problem families into decent areas to give then standards to live up to that it went tits up as well, all that happened was the decent families moved out and more problem families moved in and the areas went downhill

It happened to the estate I grew up on and you could see it happens all over the town

Then the Gov of the day decided to not call it Council /Local Authority housing anymore  but social housing and it just went from bad to worse